(Title Image: Wales Online)
As you might remember, I recently wrote about a scrutiny committee report on the performance of Bridgend’s schools, with plenty of good news and some challenges too.
Last week, the Welsh Government published the latest school categorisations. As a reminder it works like this:
Schools in Wales are placed into four colour-coded categories which determines how much support a particular school needs to maintain or improve upon its current performance:
- Green – A highly effective school requiring the minimum level of support at 4 days.
- Yellow – An effective school which requires up to 10 days of support.
- Amber – A school in need of improvement and requiring additional support of up to 15 days.
- Red – A school which requires urgent improvement and more intensive support of up to 25 days; schools in this category are often at risk of being placed into special measures.
Here’s how Bridgend’s schools fared this year.
Green (28 schools)
- Primary: Abercedin, Afon-y-Felin, Brackla, Bryncethin, Cefn Cribwr, Cefn Glas Infants, Coychurch, Cwmfelin, Garth, Litchard, Llangewydd, Maes yr Haul, Mynydd Cynffig, Newton, Oldcastle, Penybont, Pencoed, Penyfai CW, Porthcawl, St Mary’s & St Patrick’s RC, St Robert’s RC, St Mary’s RC, Tondu, West Park, Ysgol Cynwyd Sant
- Secondary: Archbishop McGrath RC, Porthcawl, Ysgol Gyfun Llangynwyd
Yellow (22 schools)
- Primary: Archdeacon John Lewis CW, Bettws, Blaengarw, Bryntirion Infants, Caerau, Coety, Corneli, Croesty, Ffaldau, Llangynwyd, Nantyfyllon, Nottage, Pil, Trelales, Tremains, Ysgol Bro Ogwr, Ysgol Cwm Garw, Ysgol Y Ferch o’r Sger
- Secondary: Brynteg, Bryntirion, Cynffig, Pencoed
Amber (4 schools)
- Primary: Brynmenyn, Nantymoel
- Secondary: Coleg y Dderwen, Maesteg
Red (3 schools)
- Primary: Plasnewydd, Ogmore Vale, Tynyrheol
How have things changed compared to last year?
Schools which have moved up at least one level compared to 2017-18
- Primary: Afon-y-Felin, Archdeacon John Lewis CW, Bryncethin, Cefn Cribwr, Llangynwyd, Nantyfyllon, Penyfai CW, Tremains, Ysgol Cwm Garw, Ysgol Y Ferch o’r Sger
- Secondary: Cynffig, Ysgol Gyfun Llangynwyd
Schools which have dropped at least one level compared to 2017-18
- Primary: Nantymoel
- Secondary: Brynteg, Bryntirion, Coleg y Dderwen, Pencoed